Monday, October 5, 2009

Cheeseburger haters

I am very much enjoying the reactions of those around me to the fact that I'm eating nothing but cheeseburgers. It's very revealing, how intense the mythology is around them as the ultimate junk food. There is a lot of urban legend surrounding them... it's "common knowledge" that they're really fatty, that the meat is filled with preservatives, that it's mostly soy filler, that there's so much sodium in them that you'll go into renal failure if you eat them regularly... none of these things are true, at least not of the BK ones and probably not of the majority of fast-food places. Of course, there's also a weird ingrained belief in Americans that beef is bad for you, and that chicken is good for you. It's very odd, and pretty much nonsensical.

The poor maligned BK cheeseburger is actually nowhere near as awful as most people assume. The meat is just ground beef... there's nothing in it, no preservatives, no seasonings, it's just cooked to holy hell, which also means much of the fat is cooked out of it. The cheese is your basic American slice. The bun is the worst part, but no worse than any .99 sack of preservative-filled white bread from the grocery store. Nutritionally, other than the lack of fiber, it's surprisingly adequate. I'm allowing myself to add unlimited condiments, including typical burger vegetables, so my vitamin C won't be lacking. I'm getting plenty of protein and amino acids, and even calcium from the cheese. Which I looked up, and was surprised to find is actual American cheese made out of real milk, not that adulterated "cheese food" crap.

It seems like I am spending a lot of time defending the cheeseburger. I'm probably repeating myself, too. I'll stop! Cheeseburger haters can SUCK IT.

2 comments:

  1. You know, I wonder if it's cheeseburger haters or just fast food haters.
    speaking for myself, the only horror I felt was when I thougth it would be ONLY fastfood cheeseburgers...just...knowing there are some creepy things fast food these days

    ReplyDelete
  2. Understood. Though, even when it's not clear that it's fast food (and the main reason I'm letting myself vary it is because I discovered that fast food cheeseburgers are pretty vanilla and don't contain anything significantly weird) some people still freak out a bit. Though, interestingly, there are also quite a few people who react very positively.

    ReplyDelete