Saturday, October 3, 2009

Day two

I just happened to get my labwork back from my annual physical today; for the record, my "bad" cholesterol is 103, which is toward the high end of healthy, but my "good" cholesterol is at 80, which is fabulous. This information is really not going to be useful, though, because I'm not planning on having my cholesterol checked again in a month.

This morning I started off my day in bed with... oh, actually, let's just skip ahead to the hamburger. I pulled the vegetables off of one of yesterday's Whopper Jrs, scraped off the cum-wad of mayonnaise, and reheated it in the toaster oven. It was not so bad.

For lunch I headed back to Burger King, where I was saddened to find that the 2-fer special had ended. They have the Whopper Jr. for $1, though, so I ordered three of them with cheese, hold the mayo. Then, curious, I headed to McDonald's to see what kind of calorie/dollar ratio I could find there. The basic cheeseburger was a dollar, so I ordered two.

For $1.25, a Whopper Jr. with cheese has 420 calories. This really doesn't touch the calorie value of the double cheeseburger special, which, at 550 calories for $1.11 each, was clearly the most economical option. Sadly, those days are over and it's time to move on. The McDonald's cheeseburger, meanwhile, offers a mere 300 calories for $1. The Burger King single cheeseburger (which I have yet to try) has 340 calories for, I think, 99 cents.

The calorie-per-penny breakdown:
BK double cheeseburger special: 4.95 calories per penny (!)
BK single cheeseburger: 3.43 calories per penny
BK Whopper Jr. w/cheese: 3.36 calories per penny
McD single cheeseburger: 3 calories per penny

Granted, I could get more calories per penny by eating a loaf of wonder bread or a block of lard, but, in theory anyway, a cheeseburger has enough nutritional value to not be a death sentence were one to eat them long-term.

The Whopper Jr. w/cheese is, without mayo, vastly more palatable. I did a side-by-side comparison of that and the McDonald's cheeseburger, which I augmented with additional pickles (they only put ONE SLICE on! Stingy bastards!) and a slice of tomato. Initially, I preferred the flavor of the McDonald's cheeseburger, which was distinctly "crackier", but after a few bites the bun seemed excessively sweet and doughy. Tomorrow I will have to experiment with the BK single cheeseburger.

McDonalds' website, by the way, is infuriatingly, unbelievably slow to load and I had to look up their nutritional information on a third-party website, so I could be wrong about the calories in their cheeseburger. Way to reinforce Burger King's marketing campaign, guys.

Eating two cheeseburgers for lunch is definitely a bad idea, and is not going to happen again. I feel gross.

For unknown reasons, I have not pooped for a few days. I don't think it has to do with the burgers, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment