Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Day twenty-six

While delaying the inevitable first cheeseburger of the day as long as I possibly could, I was contemplating the reasons that, say, a cheese and steak sandwich sounds delicious but another cheeseburger sounds abhorrent even though they are essentially the same thing. I concluded that a large part of it is that burgers are inevitably cooked all to hell because everyone's so afraid of e. coli and parasites and stuff these days.

Well now. I don't afraid of any e. coli! This I can do something about, right? So I walked to the store, procured ingredients, and constructed a dish which I am calling "Cheeseburger Tartare":

Take about a cup of very lean ground beef (or mince up some bottom round) and mix it with a couple of tablespoons of minced onion. You could add a raw egg and/or maybe some parsley, for variety, though I didn't this time.

Place on two halves of a French roll or maybe some slices of baguette. Whatever.

Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Top with a slice of the cheese of your choice. Cheddar is remarkably good with this, as is the leftover Cana de Cabra my friend left here the other night. Limburger, surprisingly, not so much.

Toast in the toaster oven for about one minute, or JUST long enough for the cheese to become translucent. The beef should still be bright red.

Consume with a shot of whiskey, just in case the confidence in your digestive system to handle anything you put in it is unfounded.


Tonight I'm going to Jack In The Box for a Sourdough Jack. I still like those.

No comments:

Post a Comment